Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cathedral Church of St John the Divine

I highly recommend visiting the website: www.stjohndivine.org. Try as I did I could not capture all the beauty of this building. The website has a wonderful story of this cathedral. I joined Abby's class on a field trip here and then we returned the following week to take pictures. Lilly was cranky and we were all cold so I unfortunately did not get the number or quality of photos I desired. I hope you are able to at least get a glimpse of what we saw.
The first photo is the entrance to the building. The sculpture is located in the nearby garden.





These views were as we were walking back from Central Park. There is an angel on the roof blowing a horn, similar to the statue on the Riverside Church.









This ornate gate led to the garden. Can you identify the animals?











More views of the entrance.



I will divide this into several entries since there are so many pictures and so much information.
Building of the cathedral began in 1892. Construction continues to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment